Friday, April 9, 2010

Five Guys in the 505


The first stop on the burger quest was at ABQ's newest burger joint: Five Guys Burgers and Fries (6650 Holly Ave. NE, (505) 797-4600) near Paseo del Norte and Louisiana. Five Guys is a national burger chain claiming a TON of hype and followers.

Meal:
  • Little Cheeseburger - $3.99
  • - with mayo, lettuce, tomato
  • Regular fries - $2.69
  • Regular Cherry Coke - $1.79
  • Peanuts in the shell - Free
On Friday night at 9pm they were packed and the music was loud. The cashier explained that a "little hamburger" was one patty and a "hamburger" was two patties. Also a regular fries was enough for two people, while a large fries was enough for 3 or 4. I have to believe them. I ordered the regular fries (probably a 12-16 oz cup) and they put about twice as many fries in the cup/bag as the cup could actually hold. The fries were excellent, although possibly a little salty for some people. The burger was also very good. Everything definitely tasted fresh and the bun and patty had a toasted quality to them. For a fast food joint the prices were a bit steep by ABQ standards. The high school kid in front of me was yelling at his friends for dragging him out and making him pay $7.50 for dinner. I also had a bite of a hot dog which was very good, but this is ABQ Burger Quest...

Verdict:
  • Type: Fast food, counter service, national chain
  • Burger: 9/10
  • Fries: 8.5/10
  • Price: $$$$$
  • Overall: 86/100
Have you eaten at Five Guys in ABQ? Leave me a comment!

P.S. Some people have complained about Five Guys not serving green chile and think they are shooting themselves in the foot by not having it on the menu. I'm actually not a green chile guy (I know, I know...), but I think it's just a matter of time before they start serving chile, joining McDonald's, Wendy's, Sonic, etc.


Five Guys Burgers on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I've been here too and didn't think the burger was spectacular, but very good. It is very greasy and sloppy so you have to be in the right mood for it. The fries are excellent and I've been back for the cajun fries which I think are better! I agree that the green chile is missing (and I too am not a chile guy), but if you can't make good chile then why supply it? I've never been to other 5 guys around the country so I don't know how often they implement local food favorites onto the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as of the moment, Five Guys is leading the burger quest, since they have a 9/10 burger rating and only $$. I've been back twice since the review and was very pleased. The fries were not as salty when I went back. I only wish they had a location closer to my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need to update bro....

    where did we get that burger that gave me the "meat-sweats"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many people say that Blake's and Lumpy's are better than "5 guys", but I have to say they aren't even in the same class. Yea, it would be nice to have green chili on the menu - but you are allowed to bring your own if you're that choosy. Burgers are awesome, fries too. Was missing them when I first moved here, now I'm not!!

    ReplyDelete