Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blake's Lotaburger: an Albuquerque institution


As one of the benchmarks for my burger ratings, I made a trip to Blake's Lotaburger. In most of Albuquerque you don't have to go far before you find one. I think there are three within a mile from where I live. Anyone who eats burgers in the Burque has eaten at Blake's, so it's a good place to put my ratings system to the test and let you know what happens when I put my taste into the ABQBQEQ and see what comes out.

I have eaten at Blakes many times over the years and have grown to appreciate their burgers and shakes. I once spoke to a senior manager who told me that the owner was a big fan of In-N-Out Burger and tried to emulate them in a number of ways. As far as regional burger chains in New Mexico, I think they are certainly hard to beat. (Maybe we'll find a surprise down the road...)

Meal:
  • Itsa burger - $2.89
  • - with cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato
  • Regular fries - $1.39
  • Regular Sierra Mist - $1.59
  • As a combo - $4.99 + tax
The burger tasted fresh overall. I am not sure if Blake's uses fresh or frozen patties (probably frozen), but all of the produce tasted very crisp. Blake's advertises using Certified Angus Beef Brand beef, which means a lot to the producers of CABB, but may or may not mean much to you and me. The burger is tastey though. The fries at Blakes are good, though nothing spectacular. I find that the ketchup they serve is always on the acidic side.

Verdict:
  • Type: Fast food, dine in, drive through, regional chain
  • Burger: 7/10
  • Fries: 6.5/10
  • Price: $$$$$
  • Overall: 70/100 <-- according to ABQBQEQ
I will definitely be going back to Blake's. It is both unavoidable and worth it. Where does Blake's fit in to your ABQ burger quest?

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me? I wanted to like Blakes because it is local, but the burgers taste like CARDBOARD. They use frozen meat like most fast food joints. When I noticed the taste of the mustard outweighed any sign of beef flavor, I knew this was not a good burger. This place does not hold a candle to In N Out. If they ever came to NM there would be traffic jams for a block, just like in every other city they have ever set up shop in. Honestly, if I want just another frozen meat, cheap, easy to find burger in Albuquerque with consistent, good flavor I'd rather go to McDonalds and get a 1/3 pound Angus burger. I don't care what other locals think about national chains, IT JUST TASTES BETTER.
    Blakes=Epic Fail. Local pride should not blind people to poor quality. Step up your expectations New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete